Friday, April 20, 2007

Bib Project - 2nd (and final) Installment

Pattern: Simple Baby Bib
Yarn: Filatura di Grignasco Big (50% cotton, 50% acrylic, so it can be washed on a "normal" setting)
Needles: US size 8
Alterations: I cast on 30 stitches instead of 25 to make the bib larger.
I thought that a 6" square bib is just a little too small, especially when the baby is a toddler.
Began: April 16, 2007; Finished: April 19, 2007

I left earlier than usual yesterday evening (it was 5:05 instead of 5:30) and picked up TL from school, so I could rush to my LYS to pick up some double-pointed needles and a button. They close at 6, so I almost never get there during the week. After dinner, I finished off the bib! I made my first 3 button holes in knitting and they look pretty much like button holes!

I was a little concerned that the strap might not be long enough, so I asked TL to model it for me, and at the longest setting, it goes around his neck just fine. So I think that this will work, in terms of size, for several years for the recipients. The final product is very nice and soft, but appears to also be absorbent. It is also quite stretchy, so I'm hoping that if it shrinks in the laundry, it will also stretch back out somewhat. No, I didn't test or anything rational like that. I should have done a tad more than check to see if the yarn could be safely tossed in the washer, but I was in an hurry.

I tried to take a photo of the cute little cow button I found, but none came out well, even on my "real" camera. I am posting the best one I did get, because I can't find an image of it online.


2 comments:

WK said...

It looks really nice and is even ready for the party tomorrow. I really like the button you used.

M said...

More support for the axiom 'buy the button, make the thing'! Nice buttonholes (aren't they fun to do!)