Monday, April 16, 2007

Another Baby Hat, BBBB #3 and books

I knitted another baby hat on Saturday evening. It looks remarkably like the last one I knit, so I haven't bothered to take a photo. I made it pretty much exactly like that one, color of yarn included. I'll be making a more feminine version soon, so I'll take a photo of that one.

I also haven't yet taken a new photo of BBBB #3, but will soon, hopefully today. The blanket now measures approximately 10.5" by 28", and so is coming along nicely for something I keep neglecting for other projects. I am still hoping that I can get it done by April 27, when my first ever knitting class starts. The hope is no longer quite as high as before, though.

On Saturday I went to the book store and purchased two new knitting books. Well, new for me. I finally got Mason Dixon Knitting, because after Wendel Kate mentioned that cushion cover and all those cute baby gift projects I couldn't hold out any longer! I think it's going to end up being a very important source for patterns for me. This is just to agree with Sari and Wendel Kate, I really like the book.

I also got (and read most of) a very handy book called Knit Fix: Problems
Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus. I thought it would be a good idea to have a concept on how to fix problems/mistakes/errors before I take this knitting class. Maybe that's weird, but now that I've been knitting for a couple of years, I think it's a good idea to have some idea of how to make a stab at fixing mistakes. So far, I've both taken the whole thing apart and started again, or (and more likely) to say that it makes my piece Unique. Now I know that either philosophy will work, but now I know that there's more than one way to fix a problem, and it doesn't have only involve ripping or ignoring. Anyhow, if you haven't seen this book, you should at least browse it to see if it's for you.

Rating: 3

2 comments:

WK said...

It sounds like you are making good progress on BBBB #3. What is the finished size supposed to be?

Thanks also for suggesting Knit Fix. I have been thinking I need something like this. The current issue of Knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATspr07stuff.html) also mentioned When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide (http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070886.asp) which also might be interesting. And then there is also The knitting answer book http://www.storey.com/books/book.php/y/5/p/0/isbn/1-58017-599-6.

I wonder how they compare? I guess I'll need to track them down...

Jay Queue said...

Yes, I am making pretty good progress. The blanket is supposed to be square, and after blocking should be about 30" by 30", but that's after blocking. The "raw" blanket should be 28" by 28," and I have always blocked them in the past, but I'm considering not doing that step if this one looks pretty square raw.

We'll see.

I had seen a reference to When Bad things Happen to Good Knitters (probably on Knitty) and I glanced through it once, but I didn't see it on Saturday. I bought the one I did because I like the way it's bound (spiral with a soft cover over the spiral), and liked the photos. It seems pretty portable and opens flat, good book design and good information for only $19.95!

Also, the author talks about having a knitting philosophy and when to fix things, etc. that appealed to me. I know know if the ones you mention also have this kind of philosophy thing, so can't compare that part.