Saturday, June 16, 2007

First Raglan, Final Update

Pattern: My First Raglan, Lisa Knits #SW-024
Yarn: Filtes King Australian Merino (product of Italy) 100% Merino Virgin Wool
It's supposed to be shrink resistant according to the label. Color #1021
Needles: US size 5 for ribbing, US 6 for the rest.
Began: May 3, 2007 at around 8 pm
Finished: June 12, 2007

Well, it took 6 weeks to knit the sweater, but it is now finished! I had a great time taking the knitting class, and I learned a lot. I think that there are some areas of the sweater that could be better, but that's normal. I was very, very nervous about knitting the v-neck at the same time as knitting the raglan shaping for the sleeves, but it turned out well. My sweater teacher did say that the v-neck seemed shallow, but we couldn't figure out why, since I did it exactly according to the instructions.

The other part that had me worried was picking up the stitches around the neckline to finish it. This is one area that I think could have turned out better, but I think it means I need to practice. I did bind off too tightly the first time. It fit over TL's head, but just barely, so I un-bound off and redid it with a larger needle size (7 instead of 6). I think it was too tight because my tension got tighter due to my fear of this part. Now the neckline is nice and stretchy and fits over TL's head just fine. I think it is about 1 1/2 to 2 sized too big for TL right now, which is just what I wanted it to be, since it is in the 90s right now and he's unlikely to want to wear it very soon. He likes the sweater (he said so) but was reluctant to even try it on in the heat. The part where we have air conditioning in the house, so it's not hot in here, notwithstanding.

In an early post about this sweater, I said I wasn't sure if I'd ever knit another one. I guess it's still debatable, but I did buy the yarn to knit myself a cardigan, so here's hoping that I knit at least two!

No comments: